Saturday, 3 March 2012

Literary Musings: Pedro Juan Gutierrez

In a few weeks, I'm going to Cuba- part holiday, part work. I'm looking forward to both. We're staying at an all-inclusive resort. I never dreamed that I'd ever go on one of these sorts of holidays. It always seemed like a distasteful way to travel. But now, traveling with a 2.5 year old and 4 month old baby, it seems quite appealing. I'm going to balance out the pedestrian aspects of this sort of holiday with a bit of academic work and serious photography while I'm there. Phew. Now I feel better about all of those free drinks at the swim up bar!

I'm in the process of setting up an interview with the Cuban author Pedro Juan Gutierrez, author of The Dirty Havana Trilogy, and The Insatiable Spiderman. Why would you not want to read a book that has been described as "lewd, impious and brilliant"?