Sunday 24 June 2012

today I am orange

Is there any other colour that can make your mouth water quite like the colour orange?

The color orange was named after the fruit, not the other way around.   Before then, the English speaking world referred to the orange color as geoluhread, which literally translates to “yellow-red”.

One usually either loves orange or hates. I myself am and orange convert. I used to loathe orange. It actually seemed to almost repel me. And now I love it. LOVE IT. Especially burnt versions of it, but even pylon orange is a soothing sight to me now.

What changed? I don't know. Perhaps I opened myself up to orange's optimism, its powerfulness and sociability, its power without being overwhelming. 

And then there are orange's strange cultural associations:

The Orange Men, William of Orange, orange Pekoe (which has nothing to do with oranges). Orange is used to signify safety and danger, and gluttony.

It is a comforting colour for many- the colour of sunset, fire and citrus. It can also be earthy despite the neon version of it that may first come to mind.









 xo Jo

No comments: